When conventional manufacturing technologies reach their performance limits, industry currently tends to rely on laser processing. The advantages are obvious: The laser beam as a tool is virtually wear-free, can be individually adapted to match the requirements of the processes and materials concerned and it can be precisely controlled.
Process development for flexible production
The Fraunhofer IPT has specialized in using industrially available laser technology and enhancing it individually for integration within existing production chains and processes. The laser systems are integrated into the production chains in terms of mechanical design and control. The hybrid processes are then optimized to meet the customer's requirements. The individual process design allows companies to structure their production flexibly and to adapt it swiftly and easily to suit different product variants. The Fraunhofer IPT supports companies with the profound understanding of processes and technology which is required for laser systems to be used optimally and profitably in manufacturing.
The laser beam as a tool
The integration of a laser module into existing manufacturing processes allows for hybrid processes and locally discrete processing. We also use laser technology to process high-performance materials. This enables us to process high-performance materials such as hard metals or fiber-reinforced composites with virtually no tool wear.
- Developing customer-specific laser modules (Safety: laser class 1)
- Conducting preliminary tests for process design
- Carrying out feasibility analyses and economic feasibility studies of laser processes
- Process development and process investigation
- Providing expert advice on the selection of laser systems
- Developing laser safety concepts
- Documenting knowledge and employee training