Laser material deposition entails applying a metallic material in the form of either wire or powder, depending on the technique concerned, to the surface of a part. A laser beam directed onto the part concerned, fuses the material within the geometry required. Laser material deposition is, therefore, particularly suitable for additive manufacturing as well as for reinforcing and repairing tools as well as other parts.
Combinations of wire and powder-based laser material deposition have enormous potential: Hybrid laser material deposition allows entire parts or certain areas of parts to be adapted to match localized mechanical, thermal and chemical loads. The advantages: The parts do not wear so quickly and their service life is significantly longer. However, little research has yet been conducted into this technique and the associated processes.
The aim of the collaborative »MatLaMeD« project is to acquire new process knowledge in the field of hybrid laser material deposition. Alongside this, the Fraunhofer IPT is collaborating with the four industrial partners in the project, to develop a hybrid process which allows wire and powder to be fused simultaneously. It is anticipated that this combination will enhance the performance of existing materials such as H11 steel or even permit completely new, graded material systems to be developed for additive manufacturing processes.
Aims of the "MatLaMeD" project
- To develop a new, hybrid method of laser deposition welding based on material-specific process strategies
- To develop new, material-related, path planning algorithms for the hybrid laser material deposition technology
- To develop a CAM solution for hybrid laser material deposition
- To continue to develop a means of producing new wire materials from hot forming tool steel for laser material deposition
- Project sponsors: Karlsruhe (PTKA)
- Produktion, Dienstleistung und Arbeit
- Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
- Funding code: 02P1E000 ff.
- ModuleWorks GmbH, Aachen
- EXAPT Systemtechnik GmbH, Aachen
- ArcelorMittal Belgium
- Laser Coating Diamond Technology sa, Belgien